Friday 1 April 2016

The little, unexpected things

      As it's April Fool's Day, I feel like I shouldn't post anything serious, or make any announcements in today's blog. That being said, I do have one announcement that is 100% totally legitimate, honest! Now that you are all thinking that my announcement is going to be a prank, here it is: I'm releasing the channel trailer for WQN today! I actually filmed it last night after work. I was feeling good and confident, so I went and filmed it, and edited it, all before I made supper! And then I edited the majority of today's vlog while cooking! I was on a roll last night. Maybe even a... dinner roll. Get it?Because I did all of it around making dinner? HAH. I'm funny guys, why won't you love me?
      Netflix and IGN released a very mean prank trailer today. It was a trailer for a live action Star Wars series that was going to focus on Darth Maul and was to be released on May 4 (a pun-tastic date for Star Wars stuff). The internet on April Fools is just a mean place. Like, guys. That wasn't even close to being funny.
      I received an email today from one of the people I interviewed for my Queer-al Living article. It almost made me cry. Okay, it did make me cry, shut up. In it, the person thanked me for writing it, and said it was heartbreaking to read about how so many members of the queer community have shared negative experiences with small town life. They updated me about some recent successes they've had with their life, and told me how good the advice at the end of my article was. And then they thanked me for telling their story.
      They thanked me for telling their story. I never, in my life, thought I would hear those words from someone. I never thought that one day I would have the honour and privilege to tell people's stories to the world. Now I have, and the people are thanking me. They're thanking me for sharing their life with the world. I always dreamed of being a professional writer. I always thought that if that dream were to come true, it would be because of my fiction, or my autobiographical non-fiction, not from becoming a journalist. And now my dream has come true, and people are thanking me for telling their stories. That's, obviously, the part that hit me the hardest.
      I wasn't expecting to hear back from the people I interviewed, the thought that one of them might read the article and get in touch with me hadn't even crossed my mind. My god, I'm a writer now. Even got my first fan mail. Damn. You know, it feels really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment