Wednesday 27 April 2016

Spring

      The sun is shining. The air is clear and fresh. The grass is turning green. And my allergies are out in full. I have a love hate relationship with pretty much every season (except Fall; Fall I just love) in Canada. I love Spring because it means Winter is over. I hate Spring because everything is wet and dirty and my allergies come back. I love Summer because it's hot and I can swim. I hate Summer because of mosquitoes and allergies. I love Winter because all of my allergens are dead. I hate Winter because it's ridiculously cold. I love Fall because of pumpkin spice, grass is dying, there isn't snow, and the weather is still nice.
       Why am I talking about the weather? Simply put, I needed to actually write something today and I wanted to keep it positive--especially in light of yesterday. And thus, the sun is shining, the air is clear, and the breeze is lovingly caressing all who meet it. There is something wonderful and magical about Spring, I will freely admit that. Especially in Northern climes. We just made it through a long, cold, and literally dark Winter, so those first few days of feeling the warm sun on our bare skin is a transformative experience bordering on a religious awakening! For months, we have trudged through snow banks, trod carefully on the treacherous ice, and braved the extreme temperatures for silly things. But now! Now the sun stays up past 4, and you don't risk death just by going for a walk!
       Spring is the start of something magical in Canada. I wish I could one hundred percent love Spring, honestly I do, but my allergies keep me from making the leap.
       That said, I'm going to sit on my porch tonight and maybe even have a beer. Because it's Spring, and I can.   

No comments:

Post a Comment