Wednesday 4 May 2016

Why do I write?

      I haven't written anything for a few days, and I feel really bad about that. Not just for depriving you all of my wonderful wit, but for depriving myself of the act of writing and creation. By not setting aside a small amount of time to just write, I have denied myself the opportunity to improve myself and my craft. And that is just unacceptable. I need to be moving forward every day with my writing. I need to be improving every day. And by not setting aside the time to do that, I was actively sabotaging myself.
      I've recently had the good fortune of having an additional two magazines add me to their writing staff, and I haven't done any writing since hearing that! I need to keep writing so that more and more people will see my work! With more people seeing my work, more people will want my work. And when more people want my work, I will have more work! I know it may be a long time before I can support myself from writing alone, but I am on the path! I've already hit several mile markers along that path, I just have to keep going! I could stop, and get comfortable. I could say these three small publications are enough for me! I could grow content. Or I could keep moving forward. I can keep exercising my abilities, keep exerting myself, keep pushing, until I hit my goal of? What is my end goal here? I want to be able to support myself through writing and creating, but is that my end goal? Do I go past that? Is my goal to be able to support myself and my loved ones? To leave a financial legacy? Or is my goal to change lives? and through that, the world?
        People that write solely for financial reasons lack passion (and common sense; writing is a hard way to make money people), and vision, and their writing suffers for it! I don't want people to say that I'm merely writing for the sake of money. People that write for fame lack a certain amount of depth, and their writing is shallow and soon forgotten--or at the very least, mocked to the point of no return. The true writers, the ones that are remembered and celebrated, write simply for the joy of writing! Of seeing their thoughts and ideas take form before their eyes! The true writers write out of love, and out of a desire to better themselves, and for a chance to better the world. And maybe those writers don't have an end goal. How can you have an end goal when you've been doing what you love the entire time?
        Is that my end goal, then? To not have an end goal? I think it is. At my current stage, my end goal is to be able to live, while doing what I love. Once I have hit that mark, everything that follows is simply extra. I like to believe that my writing is changing lives. I like to believe that my writing is serving a purpose, and that people are bettering themselves through it. But, at the end of the day, I love writing, and it is for that reason, that I write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment