Monday 21 December 2015

Christmas is love

    Alright, it's my last day of work before my Christmas holidays start, and I don't know what to blog about. A friend gave me a great suggestion, but I'm probably going to post it after Christmas. Just because it's so not Christmasy.
     Theme. Got it, What makes Christmas for you guys? Or the whatever holiday you happen to be celebrating this December. For me, it's Christmas, so that's what I call it. I'm not trying to force it on anybody or anything, don't worry! But what makes this time of year so special?
     I don't have a cliched answer for this. I can't say that "seeing the whole family makes it wonderful!" because I don't see the whole family. The last time Christmas was more than just me and my parents was close to twenty years ago. The rest of my family lives 2000 km away, which makes it difficult to plan things. I think what makes Christmas special to me is seeing all of the love when you're out in public. I'm not talking PDA here, just people being decent to one another, wishing everyone a Merry Christmas with a smile on their face. This time of year gives me hope that humanity is inherently good, and that we can make it past all the shit that goes on for the rest of the year.
     This hope for humanity is especially important to me this year. There's been a lot of terrible events in the world these past twelve months, and there has been a lot of negativity in my own life this year as well, and things got bleak for me. Everything started looking better as we rolled our way into December: things started working again in my life, and I saw less hate being spread the closer we got to Christmas. I see love and hope this time of year, and the love and hope that I see every Christmas is what helps me get through the twelve months that follow.
      Far too many have forgotten what Christmas is about, or the meaning of Christmas has just got too bogged down in religion and consumerism, but! Christmas, when you get right down to it, when you scrape away the frost (because winter), is about love. Everything about Christmas's origins (not Saturnalia, it only shares a date with Christmas) stems from love. The love of parents seeing their newborn for the first time, the love of a god giving his people a saviour, and the love of other people coming together to celebrate.
      So please, let us love each other this Christmas. Let us put away our hate and mistrust, and our greed and jealousy, and let us love each other. No matter what you believe, or don't believe, we are all on this planet together, and we are all the same species.
     Peace and love. 

1 comment: