Friday 18 December 2015

Well, this has been a change

    I'm in the process of writing my first professional article right now. I've had stuff published in the past on smaller scales, but all that was stuff I had written for myself. This is the first time that a publication has given me a topic and a deadline. It's exciting and terrifying at the same time. If all of this goes well it literally means my dream of becoming a professional writer will come true!
    This is a new experience for me. I'm going out to find people to interview, and then I'm going to write an article based on their experiences. I'm expecting complete strangers to trust me with the intimate parts of their lives... I'm going out to talk to people with the express purpose of telling other their stories. Some of these people have hid their entire lives, but I'm asking them to trust me. It's mind-boggling. I've always wanted to do this, and I am so excited, but what if I'm not good enough for this? I'm trying to tell the world some important things! What if I falter? What if I don't do their stories justice? What if I fuck up?
    I know I'm a good writer, but I've never really had major things hanging off the results of my writing (university doesn't count). How this article is taken can literally affect my entire future, and where my life leads me.
    It's strange thinking about this. A month ago I was unemployed and completely lost in the seas of my life. Now I'm working at a film festival, and have a magazine wanting to publish my work. A year ago I thought I was going to stuck in my job at a High School. Life's crazy.
     I am so happy right now. I haven't been this happy with my life in a very long time, and I don't want to lose this feeling. That's another thing hanging in the balance.
    I know I can do this, I know I can. But this piece of writing has more riding on it than anything I have ever wrote before. Everything else has been for fun. Has been just because I wanted to write it. I've always had the hope that people will enjoy it, but this is so different.
    This year has thrown a lot of punches my way, especially October and November, but December switched that all up and started giving me opportunities. Started a new job, got a writing opportunity, and have made a bunch of new friends.
    Maybe things are getting better. They're really looking up right now anyways.



Being happy is nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment