Friday 27 November 2015

Dear Islamophobes,

     I woke up really happy today. I'm not one hundred percent sure why, but I think it may have had to do with yesterday. Yesterday was just an awesome day! I got to know some awesome people. It was simply amazing, and the feeling of euphoria carried over to today.      
          That said, I saw one of the most ignorant and Islamophobic things today. Like, I was disgusted. And it was posted by someone I used to have a lot of respect for! The post contained a video, and the following text: To those that say I am posting "hate" on my wall...please take 4 mins and listen and WATCH this video. Its not just the extremists with these barbaric views, its the entire religion!! If you still disagree after watching this, you are simply ignorant. These are the same people we are welcoming to our country right now. There is NO peace in Islam. Period. This video proves it.              You know you're off to a great start when the person posting it calls it "hate".       
       The video shows a group of incredibly conservative Muslims discussing the very conservative parts of Islam: the separation of men and women during worship, etc.. Basically the same kind of thing that super conservative Christians would be talking about. And one of the main things people were getting from this video was that all the people in the audience were agreeing! Two things about that:
1.     herd mentality. When you're part of a large group you're going to agree with what's going on, or you're not going to try to stop it at the very least. I've experienced it at Christian events, concerts, and the movie theatre
2.     THEY WERE A CROWD OF ULTRA CONSERVATIVE PEOPLE. And if I know anything, I know that any group of ultra conservative men will agree that women should be kept separate. Because ultra conservatism = sexism. 
I realize that basic logic and common sense is beyond some people, and that's a damn shame. But honestly. We need some sort of buffers for this kind of idiocy. Ugh.      
      I commented on the post, because of course I did. All I said was this: "Have you read the Koran? I have. Their religion is ridiculously more peaceful than Christianity. But, go ahead. Call me ignorant." Honestly, that's pretty tame for me. Must have been because of my good mood.
      Of course when the next person commented and went on a tirade about all of the atrocities Islamic people have committed throughout all of history. Way to stay relevant. So I may have replied to his comment... with an extremely sarcastic list of atrocities that I was sure glad white Christians had never committed. Like genocide. And slavery.       
        I didn't hold back that time...       
       What confounds me the most, is how do these people not realize that all the hate they're spreading is doing the terrorists' job for them? How can you be this blind? Not you specifically. Probably no one reading this...
       The sad part is that I realize these people (most/some) aren't being racist out of hate, but rather ignorance and fear. That's honestly so sad.
       I think what I'm trying to say is: Fuck Islamophobia. To any Muslim brothers and sisters reading this, As-salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu. Peace be on all my siblings. We are all Children of this Earth. We should all love each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment