Tuesday 16 February 2016

DEADPOOL (no spoilers, honest)

      I, like a lot of people, went to Deadpool over the weekend. It truly was the best Valentine's date movie out, by the way. I loved the movie. It was an accurate representation of the character of Deadpool. It took Ryan Reynolds a long time to convince Fox to make this movie, and I think that's a good thing. If this movie had come out a few years ago, or the seven years ago that it was supposed to have come out, it would've failed. Or been made a PG-13 family flick. Either would've been just as bad.
instead we got this

      Okay, honestly? God bless Ryan Reynolds and his unending dedication into getting this movie made. From constantly pestering Fox, to paying for (and possibly leaking) test footage, he is the person who got this movie made. He was the one to make sure Deadpool was still Canadian, he was the one to make sure the movie stayed true to character, and he was the one bring Deadpool to life before our eyes. I can honestly not think of another person who could've played the part. I mean, Ryan Reynolds is literally Deadpool (not a joke, read the comics: DP looks like Ryan Reynolds once his cancer clears out). The whole production of Deadpool reads like a DP comic. Ryan Reynolds got hit by a car, and when asked about it by CBC News, he, instead of answering their questions, told them to renew Beachcombers (as any good Vancouverite should do). And on the last day of filming, he literally walked off set in costume so he wouldn't have to give back the suit. One of the costume guys asked him if he was going to take it off, and Ryan simply stated "no", and continued on. Beautiful.

      Full of meta humour, the film pokes fun at everything from the producers to the actors to the crazy timeline. I'd get more specific, but I don't want to spoil anything for the few people who haven't seen the film yet. Honestly, if you love good movies, if you love things that are funny, if you like action movies, if you only like Ryan Reynolds' ass, go see this movie. Seriously, Ryan is naked for like half the movie. I've convinced a ton of people to go just by saying, "Ryan Reynolds is naked a bunch." Just doing the good work I was put here for (promoting Deadpool). 
      As a Deadpool fan, I had my reservations about the movie, but I trusted Ryan Reynolds to do it right. Mainly because he's the biggest DP fan on the entire planet. I loved the movie. As soon as I was out of the theatre, I wanted to see it again. Like, that instant. There are a lot of movies that I leave wanting to see again, but very few that I wanted to see again that instant. Guardians of the Galaxy (easily my favourite movie of all time) is the only one to come to mind, and I saw it four times in theatres. I feel like Deadpool may break that record. 

      Go watch Deadpool. As long as you're old enough. Seriously, do not take children to see Deadpool. Deadpool has never been for kids, and he never will be. Just a serious sidebar. 
      That side, go get a babysitter or something, and go to your nearest theatre and watch this gem.


No comments:

Post a Comment