Monday 4 January 2016

A positive reflection on 2015

    This had a lot downs, so I'm gonna talk about the good stuff here.
    My aunt flew me out to Vancouver for two weeks this summer, which was something I desperately needed. To see the mountains again, to be in them again, to see the ocean, to smell the salt and feel it on my skin. It was home. I felt at home. I got to hang out with my cousins that I hadn't seen in over a decade, and catch up with them on what how their lives have turned out. It was wonderful. Straight up. It was so needed. I felt recharged and energized. Leaving was hard. Everyone was in tears, not just me.
     I came out this year. To friends, to family, and publicly. And also to myself. This year has been a year of self-exploration and acceptance. I've accepted who I am, and have stepped up to publicly discuss it, and bring social awareness to it. I've put myself in the public eye to help people. Not to help myself (believe me, it has not helped me in any financial way), but to help others and to let those like me know they have support and love. Coming out was a frightening experience. It took a lot of thought and strength to do it. I am glad that I have. It's allowed to help more people, and to be more honest about myself and with myself.
      I started actually putting effort into my memoir. Like, actually time and planning into how the book will come out. And I've actively been shopping it, and myself, to agents and publishers. I've had some refusals, but I also got asked to join the writing team of Manitoba's largest LGBTQIA+ magazine, OutWords. That's one of my biggest personal accomplishments, and I am still freaking out about it. So much is riding on my first article, that I am in the process of writing. Literally a dream come true.
      Last, and most definitely not least, all of the people who have come into my life this year. This is easily the biggest and most important event (???) to transpire this year. I've met so many amazing people within the asexual community, and outside of it, who have encouraged me and supported me. Who have urged me on to do bigger and better things, and who have been beside me in my struggles and dark times. Each of you, and I'm debating naming you, are amazing people, and I am so blessed to have had you enter my life when you did. I kinda talked about you all in my Global Family post (http://zakitudeblogs.blogspot.ca/2015/12/global-family.html), but y'all are so awesome I gotta mention you again! Thank you for lighting up my year. Thank you for becoming family. And thank you for your love and support. I honestly love you guys, even when I don't say it.
     A nice quick run through of the major good stuff that happened this year! For some reason this took two days to write... I don't even know why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment