Monday 8 August 2016

Who we are when the lights go out

                What we do in the dark often betrays who we truly are. When there is no one around to see, when the cameras are put down, and the sun has gone to rest, the truth always comes out. This may seem inherently negative, but I assure you that is not the case! Many times that true self is someone that is more selfless and courageous than some that is selfish and cowardly.
                It was at night, for instance, that I discovered my neighbour’s predilection for dressing in elaborate costumes and cleaning the street that ran in front of our houses. Every second night, at an hour that most should be asleep, my neighbour would appear in the street bedecked with a bright cape, tights, a masquerade-style mask, and an extremely tight t-shirt. He would then walk up and down the street picking up any trash he could find, and would dispose of it in an exaggerated manner. For weeks, I watched this. Sometimes he looked like he was simply doing it out of habit, while other times it looked like he was having the time of his life—the one constant was his costume. It never changed. In his mind, he was acting the hero. In my mind too.
                I worked the graveyard shift at a local gas station when I was younger. I would see a lot of…interesting people come out at night. A lot of drunks, a lot of druggies, and others of questionable morals. But there was one woman who came out at night and just shone. She was the local lawyer, and kind of disliked by large portions of the town, but every night she would come out and bring food and blankets to the less fortunate members of the community. She always came alone, and as soon as she caught people watching her or trying to sneak a picture, she would leave the area—only to come back later to finish. She didn’t want the accolades, she didn’t want fame, she just wanted to help people.
                Here’s the thing: I always have more respect for the people who go out of their way to help others without being seen, than those people who need the cameras to be on them whenever they lift a finger for their fellow man.
                But who am I when the lights go out? Who am I when no one is around to see?
                I watched my neighbour clean the street for weeks before getting bored and moving on to something else. I watched the lawyer give all she could to the less fortunate before ceasing to care about it. I went on with my life, living it as I had for years.
                What did this make me?
                A person who watched others do good in secret, yet did none of my own?
                Or by observing these secret acts, do I give them validation?
                These thoughts plagued my sleep, and gave me waking nightmares. What would I be remembered for? Did that even matter? Even amidst my thoughts of selflessness, I concerned myself with selfish thoughts.
                Who was I when the lights went out? I liked to believe that I was a good person, but did my deeds ever match my thoughts?
                I thought back.
                All my acts of charity had been done in full sight of those around me. All my giving was done where I could be seen. I wanted people to know when I was doing good. I went out of my way to ensure that people would see my kindness.
                So what did that make me?

                Who are you when the lights go out? 

No comments:

Post a Comment