Friday 5 August 2016

One of my favourite prompts

                A man walks into a bar. The bar is dingy and smells of stale beer and piss. The man, immaculate, stands out from the rest of the clientele. He is wearing a dark coloured suit, not quite black, but impossible to tell in the lighting. He heads directly to the bar, his bright white eyes fixated upon the bartender, who was now nervously wiping down a section of the bar.
                The man sits on a stool, “A beer,” is all that he says, his eyes now nowhere close to the bartender.  Instead his eyes are scanning the shelves behind the bar, as if he is looking for something, and, when he doesn’t find it, he sighs and looks down at his crossed arms resting on the bar. The sounds of the bar, which had trailed off when the man entered, slowly returned as people grew bored of watching the man.
                “Your beer,” the bartender grunts as he places a bottle and a slightly dirty glass down in front of the man’s crossed arms.
                The man grunts in thanks, and, after looking at the glass, takes a drink directly from the bottle. The beer is lukewarm and cheap, and the man suppresses a grimace as it travels down his throat.
                The bartender is still in front of the man as he puts the drink down, “We don’t get many of your type around here. In fact,” the bartender sneers, “we actively discourage it. We don’t like people like you being around us.”
                The bartender is reaching for something under the bar when the man speaks. His voice freezes the bartender’s movements, “That so? Let me tell you a story about another man that once spoke to me in this manner.” The man’s voice grew louder so that the entire room could hear. “I was in another town once, at another bar, much like this one, drinking another beer that tasted of piss, again, much like this one, when another bartender spoke some similar words to me. I ignored them. I passed them off as mindless hate. Later that night, as I walked back to my hotel, I was jumped by several of the patrons and the bartender.” Several of those listening shoot looks of awkward worry at each other and the bartender begins to sweat. “They beat me bloody, and left me on the sidewalk once they were done. I was able to pull my phone out and call an ambulance,” at this point he pulls out his phone and places it on the bar beside his beer. He takes a swig before continuing. “I spent two weeks in the hospital, and another couple months in physio. Those men tried to break me because I wear a suit for work, but it didn’t work. After my physio was done, I began to train. And then, two years later, I returned to that bar. The bartender didn’t recognize me, nor did the patrons in the bar, but they were all there. All the men who tried to break my spirit. Again, the bartender said to me words much like yours. This time I smiled at his words and ordered a rye and coke. That detail isn’t important to the story, but I will take one now,” he says, looking the bartender in the eye. The bartender jumps slightly, and makes the drink. The bar is silent as they wait for the man to continue. The drink is placed in front of the man by the trembling hands of the bartender. He downs it in a single gulp. “I stayed at the bar until it closing time, and all that remained were the people who brought me harm. I think they were nervous at this point, there was a lot of grumbling and cursing and muttering. But, by god, they had a duty to teach me the same lesson they tried teaching me years before. I stood up, as if to leave, and one of the drunks got a little too excited, so I smiled at him. I said, ‘I remember you. You were the one who broke my nose,’ the entire bar grew silent after I said that. An uncomfortable silence, much like this one. The man still didn’t recognize me, and I realized that they never would because they didn’t see me as worth remembering. I remember smiling sadly, and telling them to just get it over with. I’ll take another rye and coke, if you would,” the man pauses his story as he waits for the drink. The listeners are fidgeting and growing more and more uncomfortable. The drink is placed in front of the man, who smiles and takes a small sip. “They rushed me. All of them at once. Scared, and drunk, and angry, they came at me swinging. Letting their emotion control their actions was their first mistake.” The man pulls a bundle of cloth out of the inner pocket of his jacket, and places it on the bar. He unrolls it to display six strips of material that appear stiff and dark in the light of the bar. “The fight didn’t last long. I took them all down, and then took a strip of cloth from each of their shirts that had been stained by their blood. These strips,” he gestures to the pieces in front of him. Some of the listeners have begun to step away from the man. He takes another sip before continuing, “This is much better than the beer, by the way. My compliments. Now, whenever I tell this story, there’s usually one poor bastard who decides to test it. And I let them. Keeps me focused and trained.” The man rolls up his bundle of cloth, and puts it back in the inner pocket of his jacket. “My hotel is five blocks away, and, incidentally, I will be leaving in five minutes should any of you wish to leave before me for whatever reason.”
                With the story obviously finished, the listeners drift back to their seats. None head to the door or even look at it. The man finishes his drink in silence, and, five minutes after finishing his story, he gets up and leaves.

                No one follows.    

No comments:

Post a Comment