Friday 22 July 2016

Straight up? This is all about DC

                What a week.
                I mean, what a week. Parts of it seemed to stretch out for forever, ever since Wednesday I had thought it was Friday, but Monday feels like it was only yesterday. On top of that, I lived out my childhood (and, let’s be honest, my adult) fantasy of catching a Pokémon in the real world. It’s been a weird week.
                Let’s talk about something I don’t often bring up on these posts: the DC Extended Universe. I enjoyed Man of Steel, to the point where I have watched it by choice several times. I was excited for Batman v Superman, and, even after the extremely disappointing trailers, I still saw it opening weekend. I badly wanted to like it, honest. I loved Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, I honestly think Ben Affleck is one of the best actors to ever don the Batcowl. It’s just the movie itself. The scenes with Wonder Woman were amazing, but she’s barely in it. Affleck smirking and pretending to be drunk as Bruce Wayne was probably the funniest part of the movie. And Superman was…there? Honestly, after the humanity that was portrayed in Man of Steel, Henry Cavill feels underutilized. And there was the odd choice of making Lex Luthor a less deranged Joker, instead of a brilliant and corrupt inventor. He was basically a crazier Zuckerberg who talked about urine. Even with all my disappointment, the film looked beautiful, the fight scenes were well done, and I will watch Gal Gadot’s scenes again and again.
                I still have hope for the DCEU, though! Mainly brought on by my hopes for both Suicide Squad and the Wonder Woman solo film. The trailers for Suicide Squad are colourful and over the top, the casting choices seem on point, and I’m honestly excited for Leto’s take on the Joker. As for the WW solo film? She was the best part of BvS, the film takes place in World War 2, Chris Pine, and it has a female director! Plus the latest poster for it looks extremely badass.
                Now let’s flip to the smaller screen, and what’s affectionately known as the Arrowverse. The Arrowverse comprises of Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and Constantine. All the shows DC currently has airing, and if any of you mention Gotham, I don’t care. These shows have a dedicated fanbase, and many were surprised to learn that the actors on the shows would not be playing their respective characters in the film universe. As of right now, DC has two live action Flashes, two Supermans, and two Suicide Squads. There is an interesting theory that has come out of this! The Flash has crossed over into other versions of Earth, and many believe that the film universe is actually just one of the darker universes (because of all that killing), and that DC’s endgame is a “Crisis on Infinite Earths” type movie, where the film heroes and TV heroes will cross over into an epically confusing and convoluted mess that will put the final nail into the DCEU.

                But seriously, the shows on the CW are amazing. Even with people’s gripes about Arrow’s storytelling the past couple years, the shows are all still solid and enjoyable, and aren’t super dark in the lighting department. Does Ben Affleck eat up that much of the budget or something? Get some lights on your sets DC. I know those costumes have colour somewhere!   

No comments:

Post a Comment