Monday 5 December 2016

Clearing up

I have a problem with writing things that I think may offend my friends and family. I hold back sometimes for that exact reason. I really shouldn’t. If my views and ideas are offensive to them, that’s not my problem! I should be speaking my mind! However, I need these people to read what I’m writing because as of right now they’re a large percentage of my readership. So am I restraining myself to offend their delicate sensibilities, or am I doing it to not lose readers?
I suppose I just have to ask myself what really matters: being true to myself and my views, or maintaining readership. It’s a scary question, especially since both options involve a sacrifice. But since I’m talking about this, lets clear up some of my stances with the internet’s favourite kind of article: a list!
1.) Donald J. Trump
He’s a fuckwit. And he’s terrifying. The possible implications of his love-affair with Russia and Putin are horrifying. His admiration for dictators is worrying. And all of this is without mention his racist and fear driven platform that won him the American election! Honestly, if you think Trump is a suitable President, just get out of my life. I don’t care who you are, because your support of him shows me that you don’t care about me or anyone else that is “different”. And in this case, as with most, different means not straight and white. I’ve already said that any Christians who voted for Trump have lost sight of Christ, but I’ll go a step farther: anyone who voted for him, knowing his platform, is a bad person.
2.) Syrian Refugees
Good people, we should be taking more in. They’re running away from hate and violence, we should be welcoming them with open arms and open homes. Anyone who disagrees with that has forgotten what being Canadian means. As with Trump, if you disagree, just leave my life.
3.) Kayne West
I’ll admit that he is a talented rapper and artist, but he’s also kind of a dick. However, I wish him all the best as he’s going through this difficult time. I’m not a monster.
4.) Pipelines in general
The environmental side-effects are a big enough reason to not build them. I understand what benefit they would have for the economy, but if the cost is the environment, is the economy worth it? No, no it is not. Our environment is wrecked enough right now without us adding to the problems. I’m honestly scared for our planet right now.
5.) Justin Trudeau
I voted for him, and I would again. Has he made a few decisions I don’t agree with? Yeah, but he’s still a decent human being who wants Canada to become a truly equal country, and the beacon of hope that it used to be. He’s the best option we have right now, and he’s actually a good option.
6.) Brad Wall
He’s been in power for too long and it’s gone to his head. At one time he was a good leader, but now he thinks he knows what’s best for the entire country, and constantly forgets that he’s the premier of one of the smallest provinces in Canada. Plus, he was against bringing refugees into the province unless they went through more rounds of vetting because the UN and Canada weren’t being thorough enough. And he was excited about Trump becoming President. And he got into a twitter fight with A&W. Seriously Brad, maybe take a sabbatical.
7.) Hockey
Meh, it’s alright when you’re actually at a game with some friends, but watching it on TV (outside of Olympics hockey) is kind of a waste.
8.) Religion
Everyone should be free to practice whatever religion they want without fear, but a religion that preaches discrimination should be re-evaluated. That being said, a lot of my “Christian” friends are some of the most hateful people I know. Oh sure, they’ll open their hearts and homes to other Christians but heaven forbid they do that for other people without being preachy. Honestly, Christians, us queer folk are here to stay no matter how much you pray the gay away, so just stop.
9.) Abortion
It’s her body, she should have control over it. Pro-choice all the way. If we take away the right for women to decide this, where does it stop? It stops with women becoming property again.
10.) Gender
Biological sex and gender are different things. Being as I personally am a “different” gender, it should be no surprise that I fully support people’s gender identities. History is also on my side with many cultures having more than two genders. Sorry reddit.
11.) Clickbait
Hate that I sometimes have to find out what the scientists/random dude found.
12.) Star Wars
Fun, shallow sci-fi that drowns when you compare it to hard sci-fi. It’s better to call it fantasy and then not compare it to other fantasies.
13.) Marijuana
It should be legal. Tobacco and alcohol are, why not pot?

Well, there ya go. Some of my distilled thoughts on various topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment