Wednesday 21 December 2016

Let's f*****g talk swearing

Swearing, in English, is an interesting experience. Our curses range from the religious to bodily functions, and are often used to punctuate statements, or even inserted into the middle—fuck it. We all curse. Even if we avoid the traditional swears and use something like “fudge” or “heck” or “poop”, we all know what word you’re actually saying. My time at a Christian college was one of the most swear-filled times of my life! Of course fuck was replaced with frick or frak or frig, but the word popped up constantly, and was very obvious as to what word it was replacing. We called things “BA” instead of saying “badass”, because it was the actual saying of the word that made it wrong! If we replaced it, it was all good!
What a bunch of morons. Did we honestly believe that replacing the word made it okay, or did we think we were tricking the all-knowing God by using something else?
Idiots.
I am often thankful that my parents are never around me when I play Mario Kart or Halo, as every second word out of my mouth is some variant of “fuck”. My friends find it funny and think that I should stream it, but I don’t see the appeal of watching some guy swear a million times because a flying blue turtle shell came out of nowhere. Part of me believes that my family would think less of me if they ever heard (I know they wouldn’t), but I think that’s just left over shame from the church.
For a time, I was fascinated with British swears. While I was in school I decided that they didn’t count as swears because they were from a different country, so I called everyone “bugger”, and threw “bloody” into every possible sentence. It was bloody bollocks, it was. I blame it all on Ron Weasley. He was a right wanker. A tosser even.
I still use the word “frak” sometimes, but that’s because I like the word and it makes me think of Katee Sackhoff. And thinking of Katee Sackhoff makes me happy. For those who don’t know, Katee played Starbuck in the 2004 BSG series. Which, if you haven’t watched, you really should. It’s frakking awesome.
Just like swearing is for your health (talk about amazing transitions! I’m a professional, trust me)! It helps to release pent up negative emotions, which thereby helps clear the mind, and allows people to think…better. I was going to say “more clearly” but I had just used the word clear and now I’ve just gone and fucked everything up and this is becoming a huge run-fucking-on sentence. Ahem. Swearing releases a kind of endorphin that acts as a pain-killer, which would explain why we always want to swear when we get hurt. In fact, my grade seven English teacher told us the only time it would be appropriate to swear in glass was if we got hurt. If we got actually hurt/injured we had full permission to drop the old f-bomb. Unfortunately, it is rather easy to stay uninjured in a grade 7 English class, so the school hallways never rang with approved fucks, only the unapproved. Take that however you want.
Swearing, like everything, has a time and place. Swearing in front of little kids just isn’t cool. Same as swearing in front of grandparents—unless it’s a family thing. And swearing every second word should be strictly left to Mario Kart.
Also, don’t call your boss a fucking dickweed unless that’s how your office operates, but really confirm that information first if you’re the new person.

No comments:

Post a Comment