Friday 17 June 2016

Infinite Hope

                I’ve started and erased this blog five times now with two different (three counting this) topics. None of my words are sounding right. None of my topics seem good enough.  I don’t know. Just happens some days.
                I started talking to my friend about faith last night. Not faith as in religion, just faith as in belief. It’s an odd part of human nature: the need to believe in something. Before you jump at me and say lots of people don’t believe in anything. That’s a lie. Everyone believes in something deep down. Whether they believe in a higher power, or they just believe that they’re gonna make it, they believe in something. They have faith in something. Faith is believing in something intangible, that’s it. My belief that humanity can better itself is a form of faith. My belief that I’m going to make it through all the bad in my life is a form of faith. I have faith in those things because I can’t prove them! I can’t know for sure that humanity will better itself, I just have faith that it will! I know that humanity can, I’ve seen that it can, but will it? There’s always that question that lingers over everything.
                What does faith do for us? What can believing in something that we can never prove give us? It gives us hope. Hope is something powerful and wonderful! Hope is beautiful! Hope can get us out of bed in the morning and hope can change the world. Faith is a beautiful thing. It can give strength to those who lack it, it can give people a sense of family when they don’t have one, and it can lift the fallen back to their feet. Faith can give us hope and life.
                Faith can also destroy, and lead to fanaticism. I know this, but I’m not going to talk about it, because I want to stay positive. It’s my blog, I can do what I want.
                I told my friend something that I have faith in, and she told that it was risky. But that’s what faith is. Faith is a risk. Faith isn’t a sure thing! It can blow up on you at any given second; something can happen that can shatter it. But that’s the point of faith. If there were no risks, we wouldn’t need faith. If don’t need faith, that means we know all the answers, and if we have all the answers, what’s the point?
                Faith is the great adventure. Faith inspires us to new heights. Faith takes us to new things; faith leads us to new discoveries. Faith can change the world. If we have faith that the world can change, we can make those changes. That may sound controversial, but it’s true: why would someone try to make a change if they didn’t believe that it could happen?
                I have faith that the world can become a better place. I have faith that people are inherently good as a whole. I have faith that the good people in the world outnumber the bad. I say all of this in light of the all the recent tragedies. I say this in full remembrance of the Paris terror attacks, of the terror attacks in Egypt, Nigeria, Turkey, Chad, Niger, Pakistan, Iraq, Cameroon, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Israel, Australia, Canada, USA, and every other country. I say this in light of the 729 terror attacks that have happened worldwide in 2016. I say this in the light of the recent hate crimes against my community. In light of all the racial tensions. In light of all the hate. I say this in light of all the bad that is happening in the world. I have faith in humanity. That faith is tested every single day, but it remains.
                If I didn’t have this faith in humanity, I would give up. Who would want to live in a world like this if there was no hope, no chance, of change? I believe there is hope. I wake up every morning believing that the world can become a better place. I have to.

                As Martin Luther King Jr once said, “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”

No comments:

Post a Comment