Thursday 6 October 2016

Short thoughts on a deep subject

                Yesterday I wrote an article about my journey of self-discovery over the last two years. It is possibly the most revealing and intimate piece I have ever written. I won’t be sharing it on here until have it is published next month. I sent to several people whom I trust to have them go over it. Usually I edit all my articles myself, or just have my editor do it, but for this one I wanted some extra help. My friends read it, and gave positive reviews. None of them really questioned the content, except for one. I’m pretty sure the one that questioned it was the only one who knew that it was going to be published. Everyone else thought it was just an exercise in release.
                The one friend asked me if I was sure I wanted to put the article out there as it is incredibly personal and heavy. I said yes. She then asked me how I could do that as she didn’t believe she could ever put something like that in the public eye. My response was simple and clichéd: I said that if it helped one person, then it would be worth it.
                In the article I touch on some very heavy subject manner, issues that I have skirted around in this very blog! Recently a friend has been pushing me to be more open and vulnerable, and last week I took her advice and I began to open up more, and it was from this that the article was born.
                One of the other readers asked me if it was hard to write and then send. I said that I wouldn’t have been able to do either a week ago, but that today had been easy.

                Writing this article, to be published, has been daunting, scary, and incredibly freeing. The weights fell from my shoulders as I typed, and I felt better than I had in a long while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment